McMaster Family Medicine Professorship in Child Health Research
Through a generous endowment provided by the Department of Family Medicine, the McMaster Family Medicine Professorship in Child Health Research was established in 2008.
According to Dr. David Price, Chair of the Department of Family Medicine: “The creation of the professorship is a first for departments of family medicine in Canada, and signals not only our dedication to support research through innovative funding arrangements, but also our commitment to improving the health and well-being of children locally, nationally and internationally through research and evidence-based care.”
The objectives of the professorship:
- Research: To conduct world-class research in the areas of child health development.
- Collaboration: Establish research collaborations and partnerships between family medicine, the department of psychiatry and behavioural neurosciences, and other research groups dedicated to the study of child health across McMaster (e.g., Offord Centre for Child Studies, CanChild Centre for Studies in Childhood Disability, the McMaster Child Health Research Institute), and through these connections, foster the developmental of inter-disciplinary research in child health.
- Knowledge Generation, Dissemination and Exchange: Translate knowledge from research to improve the lives of children and their families, especially in relation to improved care in primary care settings.
- Education & Training: Supervise undergraduate and graduate students, residents and post-doctoral fellows. Participate in courses (lecture) and the training of family medicine residents.
- Build research capacity: Strengthen the department’s capacity to do research in this area, mentor faculty and trainees, and contribute to the emerging, vibrant research culture in the department of family medicine at McMaster.
The inaugural holder of the professorship is Dr. John Cairney, who came to McMaster in the Spring of 2008 from the Centre for Addiction & Mental Health in Toronto. On the recruitment of Dr. Cairney, Dr. Price commented: “I am just thrilled that we have been able to recruit John to McMaster University. He brings a wealth of expertise and experience and will help us to improve how we provide family health care and specifically, how we provide best care to our children and adolescents."